Okay, I’m trying something crazy here. I am morphing my classroom progress post into a Five for Friday post…let’s see how this goes!!
To start my week, I unpacked my classroom and I am happy to report it was a total breeze! Taking time to clean and pack everything neatly when moving out made moving in tidy and quick. Here’s the process I used to get the job done:
I took a peek inside each box, dropped it in the area of the room where the contents would be stored.
Then, I unload the contents of each box one at a time. If I had a spot to put an item, I stashed it! If I wasn’t sure exactly where it should be stored, I placed it one a table close by (pretty simple).
Once everything was unpacked, I got those empty boxes out of sight. It’s amazing how getting rid of trash clears the mind and boosts efficiency!
Next, I worked around the room, starting in one corner and organizing each cabinet. So much space opened up once there was a place for everything and everything was in its place. I usually scanned the “homeless” items after organizing each cabinet and stashed them if they fit with the theme of the cabinet/shelf I was working on.
Once I got my groove going, I whipped through each cabinet and I was done with them all in one day. ONE DAY!!!!!
An essential ingredient to this tidy packing/unpacking process is purging. If I haven’t used something in the past year, it gets kicked to the curb! Actually …it usually ends up in someone else’s classroom where it becomes a “new” item once again. That’s the beautiful thing about being a teacher; when we don’t need something any more, we share it. >WarmFuzzies!!!<
It is such a cool feeling to be the one who gets to do a little giving now that I have a few years under my belt. Although I did most of my purging during the packing phase of my move, I found I had to do another round when I unpacked. Here are my three signature purging categories:
- Give away and say, “This is really old and kinda nasty and you probably don’t want it, but maybe you do… I couldn’t help but ask”.
- Give away and say, “This is a gem, I hate that I have to give this up but I really don’t need it, you will love this and you better take good care of it”.
The the next logical thing in my mind was to arrange the desks so I started to get that classroom vibe going. I must have had one too many sips of coffee that morning or something but things just weren’t working for me. I started with arranging the desks. Three hours and 40,000 burned calories later, I finished arranging the desks. Then, I hit the stores to stock up on containers and decorations that fit my new space. I returned half of it two days later.
Wednesday rocked! I got to label like a crazy person. I’ve always been a labeling fanatic, but this year I am going to take it over the top. Of course, this means I need to make MORE LABELS. 🙂 I have a long list of additional labels I will create on Sunday. This means my already substantial classroom labeling kit will be bursting at the seams! I also got to sort my classroom library and make an inventory of how many bins I need to purchase for this new super schnazzy cubby set up. I may have had a mini panic attack when I went to Really Good Stuff and discovered the bins I need are out of stock until August 28th. This means my library won’t really be ready until the third week of school. Boo that.
Thursday was a day filled with visits from my classroom decorating consultants. First, my husband dropped in a made some rockin’ suggestions on furniture positioning and thought up a ridiculously inspiring statement piece for the front of the room. I can’t WAIT to create it next week (for now it is top secret). Then, my Mom helped me paper those walls. We had to call it quits when I ran out of borders but we got a ton done a week ahead of schedule!!!!